The Britax Roundabout 55 is one of the best convertible car seats from Britax. Besides its smaller footprint, the seat also features a much lower weight capacity than other convertible car seats from the company, without sacrificing on the legendary Britax safety.
Among the most notable safety features of Britax Roundabout 55 convertible car seats is SafeCell technology. It’s actually a honeycomb like material that’s designed to instantly compress in case of crash, thereby stabilizing the sat and minimizing any movement of both the seat and your child upon impact.
• Low center of gravity increases stability and also minimizes any impact in the event of crash
• Can accommodate children up to 55 lbs forward facing and 40 lbs rear-facing
• Complete side impact protection due to EPP energy absorbing foam
• Has innovative safety features, such as Integrated steel bars and SafeCell technology
• Rear and forward facing recline and adjustable crotch strap
• Much smaller footprint for easier fit in your car
• Contoured base with anti-slip grip to protect car seat from wear and tear over time
You can install Roundabout 55 using either your vehicle’s latch or seat belts. Their contoured base with a firm anti-slip grip offers a optimum vehicle fit, and rear and forward-facing recline creates a perfect angle for a perfect fit for all types of vehicle seats.
The latch system of Roundabout 55 provides a simple, quick and tight installation, and its premium lower latch connects are equipped with a push button for an easy release. To add more stability, you can use its top tether to firmly anchor your seat to in both rear and forward-facing positions.
The guided belt path enables you to easily route your vehicle’s seat belts through Roundabout 55. The belt path is positioned at the seat’s back, and is accessible through seat’s fabric. The built-in lock-offs ensure a shoulder belt installation and snug and secure lap with minimal effort.
• 5-point harness Meets or exceeds FMVSS 213
• SafeCell technology inside the base of the seat has honeycomb structure that compresses upon impact thereby reducing the forward motion of the child seat. This reduces any risk of neck or head injuries
• Has patented energy absorbing features
• Integrated steel bars can strengthen the connection to the vehicle
Benefits for the Baby
The Roundabout 55 can accommodate both infants and toddlers (5-40 lbs) rear-facing, and can be used forward-facing for kids at least one year-old and 20 lbs-55 lbs. For smaller infants, company offers an special Infant Positioning Insert to ensure the most snug fit possible with the harness. It is sold separately.
The 5-point harness of Roundabout 55 keeps kids snug and secure, and the crotch strap can adjust to two positions to accommodate growing kids. The convertible seats also feature an extra layer of padding with high density comfort foam that will keep your child comfy during longer road trips and rides. Keep cups close at hand with the help of Britax Child Cup Holder, which is sold separately.
If you’re interested in all the features offered by Roundabout 55, but would like a convertible car seat with a higher weight limits, check out the latest Britax Marathon 70. It has all the features of Roundabout 55, plus a easy-to-remove cover, quick-adjust no re-threat harness, the Harness Ultra Guard system, and a plush which provides ample resistance to any forward movement in case of any crash, and has a 70 lb weight limit in forward-facing position. However, it does have a slightly higher price tag and would take up more room in your vehicle.
If you want more backseat space, check out the Combi Coccoro. It’s a compact convertible car seat that weighs only 11 lbs and can easily fit up to three seats across in most vehicles. However, the it can only accommodate infants forward-facing up to 40 lbs and rear-facing up to 33 lbs.